Today, our Trakahner Mare, Liana, gave birth to her first foal; an adorable Trakahner colt.
The Trakahner breed puts more importance on the mare (mother), so a Trakahner foal’s name must begin with the first letter of the mare’s name. Before we knew what gender the foal was going to be, Anna did a facebook survey with some filly/colt names that she liked. Here are Anna’s facebook posts and the comments from people who liked Linux:
So we have a baby horse thus a name survey 🙂 With this breed of horse I have to pick a name that starts with the same letter as the Mom’s “L”. Here are a few picks for if it’s a girl!
1. Lanai (veranda) 2. Lareina (queen) 3. Laveda (cleansed) 4. Leala (loyal) 5. Lavena (mother of roman people) 6. Lexie (protector of mankind) 7. Labella (beautiful) 8. Laurette (little angel) 9. Lila (night) 10. Lisha
Here’s the Boy’s
1. Lark (songbird) 2. Lake 3. Lanier (woolworker) 4. Lander (landowner) 5. Larkin (fierce) 6. Latif (elegant) 7. Larch (a type of tree) 8. Lacrosse (a game) 9. Lancelot (attendant) 10. Linux (computer nerd name 🙂
Don’t forget this is for a horse so it can’t be hard to say quickly. It also can’t be a name that has been used before so don’t be offended if I can’t use a great name as it may be taken.
- Kori Curry I like lander best and Linux the computer one second
- Dawn Denison Larkin is cool. Ditto with Linux
- Devin Hanson Linux is cool 😀 I bet Ashton will like that one too.
- Anna Wow guys thanks for all the feedback! Glad you like Linux 🙂 Not sure about the Twilight thing lol..Sorry Marla Lucy is taken 🙁
- Ashton hahah @ linux. That’s hillarious. I also like Lander and Lancelot.
After the majority voted for “Linux” (Pronouced: Lynn-ex), and as a tribute to her nerdy husband, Anna chose Linux for the new colt. (Linux is a computer operating system like Windows.)
Here is a picture of him on his birthday:
Liana was 4 days late. Which just so happened to be when Anna left for a weekend horse show with Ossette. The first day Anna was gone, Carol was feeding the horses, and saw the new baby out in the field. We figured he was born around 4:00. He was so long-legged, it took him 3 or 4 hours before he was able to stand and drink.
It was sprinkling that evening, and a beautiful rainbow came out.
*UPDATE: Here’s some updated pictures of Linux a couple days to a couple months old*
You can see more pictures on Anna’s Top Priority Trakahners Website.